TGI Good Friday

Hong Kong:  I spent my first week of not working by working harder than I ever imagined.  Somehow I thought every day of post-corporate life would feel like Saturday, and with so much time on my hands I would be very informed, very fit, and very relaxed. 

I was wrong.  My first post-corporate week didn’t manifest that way. 

Rather than slowing down, I sped up.  I had no time to work out or catch up on what’s going on in the world.  I was busy up to the eyeballs…getting organized, meeting people, planning the summer, and running all over Hong Kong island to get things done.  Sometimes stupid things, like getting all my smart devices, which are supposed to be smart and make life easier, work together. 

It wasn’t all craziness, though.  I did manage to accompany my son’s class on a field trip to the Hong Kong Maritime Museum.  It was great fun and I never, ever would have managed such an excursion as a corporate guy. 

What’s most surprising is I still maintain a weekday/weekend mentality, so by the time Good Friday came around I was very grateful for the weekend and the chance to slow down.  I spent the weekend the way I normally spend a weekend — a bit of cycling, hanging out with the family, and socializing.  But there’s one important variant of this long weekend just passed:  I caught up on what had apparently been a serious sleep deficiency, sleeping longer stretches than I ever thought physically possible.

I am now ready to tackle Week Two, which promises to be a different kind of busy.   I go to Bangkok tomorrow to participate in and present to a United Nations conference on climate change.  The fun continues.


About Todd

Around-the-world cycling, one continent at a time
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to TGI Good Friday

  1. Nancy Lee says:

    I am with you on the time right after the “office hours.” When I took the 1 year and 4 months off from the finance world, I thought I would be sleeping in and chilling. Guessed wrong! I jammed pack my day to arrange things I wanted to do for the longest time and things I need to take care of. It’s funny how it worked.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s