The First Monday


Hong Kong:   Several people have asked me how I planned to spend my first carpe diem Monday.  I had imagined I would do lots of fun and weekendy-stuff, because I can.   So this is how the day went….

I woke up at 11am and had lunch with my good friend Jim Beam; he’s related to Jack Daniel in case you’re confused.  After a leisurely lunch I then had a long foot massage, followed by a nap, followed by another nap, followed by MASH reruns at home. 

While that kinda sounds like a good day, it wasn’t my day.  Here’s how my First Monday really went:  

I woke up at 6:30am and helped my son get off to school.  Then over coffee and my usual egg white and oatmeal breakfast, I started tackling my To Do list.  It’s a rather long list, but my first order of business is to get organized.  It’s amazing all the personal crap that accumulates over time, and I had alot of personal stuff from my work office (photos, books, and assorted stuff) which I have to merge into my home office.  In the process I found the missing stylus from my first palm pilot and some 3.5″ floppy discs (remember those?) from last millenium’s home computer.  I am still trying to sort out several IT issues.  What a pain.

I caught up with a good industry friend over a dim sum lunch at the China Club.  It was fun to catch up and most of the conversation revolved around kids and work-life balance, a favorite theme of mine, plus the usual corporate nonsense.   The China Club is the only restaurant in Hong Kong that I know of that serves fortune cookies.  My fortune said:  “Your wish is about to come true.” That’s really specific.

Ater lunch I managed one errand before a 3pm meeting, after which I dashed back home to arrive two minutes later than my son.   I realized it was the first day ever that I had actually been home when he returned from school.  After a snack we did homework together.  It was a great feeling to be so real-time hands-on. 

After dinner and his 8pm bedtime I have spent the past 3.5 hours catching up on correspondence.  It’s been a full-on 17 hour day, and the rest of this week promises to be more of the same.  Admittedly a lot less fun than lunch with Jim and Jack.


About Todd

Around-the-world cycling, one continent at a time
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to The First Monday

  1. Sunder Aaron says:

    Good one Todd…you had me going with the first para.

  2. Nancy Lee says:

    Mine is Jack and Cola… =)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s